At Swoone, we only like to recommend hosting providers we’ve used ourselves. There are roughly a bajillion website hosts out there. In this post, we’re focused on our favorite: Flywheel* Read more for WordPress Website Hosting Tips for Photographers.
Flywheel specializes in hosting WordPress websites. This means they know WordPress inside and out and their servers are configured just for WordPress sites. If you’re hosting a bunch of random websites, this host may not work for you.
Website Hosting Technical Terms
This blog post includes some technical terms. Read this first so you know what they all mean.
- SSL Certificate: a security certificate that allows you to display your website using HTTPS instead of HTTP. This is good for SEO and website security.
- Staging server: a clone of your website. Use this feature to copy your website, try out a new plugin, or experiment without affecting your live website.
- Database: where WordPress stores all your content. It’s like the brain of your website. It’s stored in an SQL file.
- WordPress install: this refers to a single WordPress website. If the hosting plan says you get one install, this means you can only host one website.
- Security monitoring: occasionally WordPress websites get hacked. Our recommended hosts include security monitoring for hacks and vulnerabilities. That means, if your website gets hacked, they’ll fix it for you with no extra fees.
Flywheel Hosting Overview
- Plans start at $15/month or $165/year (pay annually to get one month free)
- The $15/month plan includes up to 5,000 monthly visits to your website
- The $30/month plan includes up to 25,000 monthly visits to your website
- One WordPress install
- One free SSL certificate included
- Security monitoring included
- Daily backups of your website’s files and database
- Option to create a new back-up whenever you want
- Staging server is included on the $30/month plan and up
- Support from 9am-5pm CDT via support ticket (email), or live chat. Emergency support available 24/7 via email.
Flywheel will happily answer your support questions. In our experience, it’s typically within a few hours. If you have 5,000 monthly visitors or less, are cool with one SSL certificate, and don’t need a staging server … then Flywheel is a great choice.
*This blog post uses affiliate links. That means if you click the link and sign up with Flywheel, we get a little bit of money. 💰 We only recommend services we trust.